I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say this:
Buying the best ham radio for car can be a challenge.
It can seem like there are hundreds or even thousands of automotive products to choose from but there’s nothing that fits your specific needs. Oh, we know that feeling.
- 144Mhz amateur Radio
- Stable 65W of output
- Similar user interface retained from the ic-2200h
It sucks when you’ve got a budget to fit in and you want to find something that would be the best bang for the buck, but it’s impossible to narrow down the choices without spending hours (sometimes tens of hours) on research and reading the reviews on the best ham radio.
We decided that it’s time for robots to do the hard work. Here’s how:
- With the help of Artificial Intelligence, we analyzed hundreds of thousands (no kidding) of reviews from verified owners on Amazon and reputable expert sources like Consumer Reports, The Wirecutter, PCmag, and many others.
- Every product got its own rating in each category (like “best something for car”).
- We compiled lists of the best products in every category and created lists like the one you can see below
- We shared them with the public, so you guys could make informed decisions and save time.
For this article about the Best Ham Radio For Car we reviewed and evaluated more than 180+ ham radios. The AI (artificial) selected only those that received the top award. Only winners are listed below. You can see the highest overall rating of each item and a comprehensive breakdown of its characteristics.
Best Ham Radio For Car – Comparison Table
ham radio Reviews and Buying Guide
With more choices than ever, it can be hard to find the ham radio that’s right for you. And it can be frustrating to shop for the best ham radio for car, hoping to find the one that can help you. But don’t worry. With our tools and guides, we can help.
We provide consumers with the information they need to get the most out of their new purchases. We’ve discussed our favorite deals and services, and sorted out the strengths and weaknesses of each variation. We’ve even pinpointed what makes a good ham radio, helping you identify and avoid the pitfalls of price gimmicks and overpriced automotive brands.
- 144Mhz amateur Radio
- Stable 65W of output
- Similar user interface retained from the ic-2200h
- Proven durability -- tested to the latest mil-std-810 g specifications
- 207 alpha-numeric memory channels
- • High RF Power Output (50W)
- • 1,000 Multifunction Memory Channels
- • Dual Receive on Same Band (VxV, UxU)
- • EchoLink MEMORY (Automatic Dialer)
- • EchoLink Sysop Mode For Node Terminal Operation
- Rugged compact contruction, High Power= 65 Wts, Alphanumeric LCD
- 200 Memory Channel, 6 alphanumeric characters offers 100 memory channels
- CTCSS/DTCS Enconder/Decoder, Weather Alert/RX
- Meets MIL-STD 810 C, D, E, F and G environmental standards for vibration and shock
- FM-USB-LSB-AM-CW, 100 Watts of Transmit output on 6-160M Amateur Radio.
- Receives 30Khz to 54Mhz continious including All Shortwave & AM broadcast.
- Built-In Automatic Antenna tuner, ctcss, 500 & 300 Hz CW Filters.
- Fast 400 MHz IF DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology.
- Upgrades from our Previous Generation UV-5R: Twice the Output Power (8 watts up from 4 watts output), New Hardened Durable Radio Shell, 30% Larger Battery, V-85 High Gain Antenna (Twice the Antenna Performance), USA Support + In-depth User Guide Included
- High / Med / Low Power Settings (8W, 4W, 1W); Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz(Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- The BF-F8HP was designed in the USA and because not everyone is a radio-expert we really wanted to focus on providing an easier user experience! That starts with the new in-depth manual that guides you through the capabilities and customization of the BF-F8HP. On top of that the BF-F8HP also includes exclusive concierge customer help and warranty support. This concierge service is only available on select BaoFeng models such as the BF-F8HP, UV-82HP, and UV-5X3.
- A PC03 FTDI Programming Cable is Recommended for Easier PC Programming
- BaoFeng Tech is the only authorized USA BaoFeng Distributor to honor the Manufacturer Warranty. Only BaoFeng Tech offers warranty claims without shipping anything to China. You must insure that BaoFeng Tech is your selected buying option when buying to be able to have the full USA warranty.
- Receives 0.1-56Mhz, 76-108Mhz, 118-164Mhz and 420-470MHz - AM/USB/LSB/FM/CW
- Transmits The Amateur Ham Radio Bands 160 thru 2 meters, plus 70cm UHF too!
- Output is 100 Watts on 6-160M, 50W VHF & 20W UHF, FM-AM-SSB-CW (25W AM HF carrier)
- Built-In Digital signal processing, 200 memories, spectrum display, ctcss (PL).
- Includes microphone & power cable. Requires 12-13.8Vdc @ 22 Amps minimum for power. Requires Optional suitable antenna(s).
- BaoFeng Tech is the only authorized BaoFeng & BTECH Distributor to honor the Manufacturer Warranty. Only BaoFeng Tech offers warranty claims without shipping anything to China. You must insure that BaoFeng Tech is your selected buying option when buying to be able to have the full USA warranty.
- What's New: Tri-band Frequency Range Display Sync DTMF Decode Incoming ANI Display Remote Stun, Kill, Revive, Inspect, and Monitor Selectable Frequency Range Scanning Remove/Add Channels from Scanning Right in Menu
- Recommended Accessories: Pair UV-5X3 with the Nagoya NA-320A Antenna for all-in-one antenna option. The PC03 FTDI Cable is recommended for easy computer programming - Uses CHIRP Software
- Features: VOX Talk Around Mode Busy Channel Lock-Out (BCLO) Transmission Time Out Channel Receive Only (TX OFF) Frequency Reverse Squelch Tail Elimination (STE) Work Mode (Selectable VFO/ Menu Lockout) Alpha Numeric Channel Storage PC Programmable
- Kit Includes: UV-5X3 Radio, 1500mAh Battery, V-85 Dual Band Antenna, 220MHz Single Band Antenna, CH-5 Charger, CH-5 110V Adapter, Earpiece Kit, Wrist Strap, Belt Clip, User Manual
- Transmits 50 watts on 10, 6 and 2M, & 35 watts on 440 MHz, With Selectable Lower Output Settings..
- Receives (less cellular) 28-29.7, 50-54, 108-180, 320-480 and 700-985 MHz, Transmits 28-29.70Mhz, 50-54Mhx, 144-148Mhz, 430-450Mhz.
- Backlit Keypad mic, 800 mem Channels, Live Dual Displays, ctcss/dcs (PL & DPL).
- Features Cross Band Repeater mode, 1200/9600 bps Packet Jack, AlphaNumeric Display, V/V, U/U, V/U.
- Includes YSK-8900 Separation Kit
- High Power Output Boasting a big 50 Watts of power output on 144 MHz, and 40 Watts on 430 MHz, the FT-7900R also includes provision for three lower power levels, so you never have to use more power than you really need. The power level is stored in regular and Hyper Memory registers, too
- Wide Receiver Frequency Coverage The FT-7900R provides receiver coverage from 108 to 520 MHz, and 700 to 999.99 MHz (cellular blocked), so you have available a wide range of monitoring excitement, including AM Aircraft, Public Safety, Government, Business, and, of course, Amateur communications. The synthesizer steps appropriate for the operating band are automatically selected, too! Large LCD Display The large backlit LCD on the FT-7900R ensure excellent visibility
- Five front panel keys allow complete transceiver configuration status to be stored for convenient one-touch recall.
- NOAA Weather Alert (U.S. Version only)
- WiRES Internet Linking Capability
- What Makes the UV-50X2 Unique: Dual Synchronize Display Mode, Mic Audio Gain Settings, Expanded Frequency Range (up to 520MHz), In depth user's guide, Auto Power Off Function, Channel Mode Editing Settings, Auto Scan, Scanning Resume, and Variable Frequency Scanning, Quad Watch Delay Time, Randomization Privacy Mode - Builds upon previous generation UV-5001
- High / Low Power Settings (50W/10W); Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz(Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- Recommended Accessories: Pair UV-50X2 with the Nagoya UT-72 Magnetic Mount Antenna for easy installation. The PC04 FTDI Cable is recommended for easy computer programming
- The UV-50X2 operates as multiple radios in one, with either 144 MHz or 430 MHz as the "Main" TX/RX band, while simultaneously watching up to 3 other frequencies or channels; and, if you like, you can configure your UV-50X2 for simultaneous VHF-VHF or UHF-UHF operation, too!
- Kit Includes: BTECH UV-50X2, Speaker Mic, DC Cable, Radio & Mic Brackets, Mounting Hardware, and User Guide
- 25W/15W/5W dual band VHF/UHF mobile radio transceiver with DTMF and 5Tone function! Color LCD. 180 degree rotatable TFT LCD display.
- Frequency range: VHF: 136-174mhz UHF: 400-480mhz. Please download the programming software from support in AnyTone website.You can find the AnyTone website address in the user's manual.
- Features ctcss, DCS, 200channels & more! Narrow band Compliant, lighted keypad mic, built-in speakers in both radio & mic, built-in cooling fan, DC power cable with fuse holder & more!
- Single call, group call, selective call and emergency call are all available.
- Warranty 1 year warranty. Money back if you are not satisfied with it in 1 month. Please feel free to Contact with us if you have any query. We will give you prompt reply and good after service
- APRS compliance using packet communication to exchange real-time GPS position information and messages Compliant with digital/voice mode D-STAR digital amateur radio networks
- Built-in high performance GPS unit with Auto Clock Setting Wide-band and multi-mode reception 1.74” (240 x 180 pixel) Transflective color TFT display
- IF Filtering for improved SSB/CW/AM reception High performance DSP-based audio processing & voice recording Compliant with Bluetooth, microSD & Micro-USB standards
- External Decode function (PC Decode 12kHz IF Output, BW:15 kHz) Command / Control Protocol (ARFC, PC, Smartphone) Data Import / Export, (Digital Repeater List, Call sign, Memory Channel)
- Four TX Power selections (5/2/0.5/0.05 W) Weatherproof IP54/55 standards
- What Makes the UV-25X4 Unique: Dual Synchronize Display Mode, Mic Audio Gain Settings, Expanded Frequency Range (up to 520MHz), In depth user's guide, Auto Power Off Function, Channel Mode Editing Settings, Auto Scan, Scanning Resume, and Variable Frequency Scanning, Quad Watch Delay Time, Randomization Privacy Mode, Builds upon previous generation UV-2501+220
- High / Low Power Settings (25W/10W); Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz(Only commercial FM radio reception) 136-174MHz (VHF), 220-260MHz (1.25M) (USA/ASIA), 350-390MHz (EU/ASIA), 400-520MHz (UHF); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- Recommended Accessories: Pair UV-25X4 with the Nagoya TB-320A Antenna (and RB-50 Magnetic Mount) for easy installation. The PC04 FTDI Cable is recommended for easy computer programming
- Dual Watch monitoring VHF/UHF and 220Mhz: The 220 MHz band antenna lowpass filter is switched with a relay and the 2 meter lowpass filter and 70 cm highpass filters are switched with PIN diodes - resulting in a audible relay switch noise when monitoring 220MHz with VHF/UHF simultaneously. A relay that completely isolated the 220 MHz RF filter won't impact the RF performance of the 2 meter/70 cm bands. If monitoring multiple 220MHz or VHF/UHF simultaneously the relay is not heard or used.
- Tribander Mobile Radio Kit Includes: BTECH UV-25X4, Speaker Mic, 6 foot DC Cable with Cigarette Plug Connector, Radio & Mic Brackets, Mounting Hardware, and User Guide
- FCC certification ID: POD-DMR3. NOTE: In order to meet the FCC policies, the frequency range of the MD-9600 radios we sell is locked in 150-160/450-460 MHz and disabled the VFO. But you can unlock the frequency range to 136-174/400-480 MHz and enable the VFO function after you received it if you need. The Spread Frequency Software Download: https://bit.ly/2RN44WV
- The latest Software/Firmware Download: https://bit.ly/2RN44WV . The MD-9600 supports analog and digital modes so you can enjoy the best of both. Using Time-Division Multiple-Access (TDMA) digital technology. Compatible with MotoTRBO Tier II. Fully upgradable firmware (allows using MD-380/390/2017 CodePlug as a starter）
If you buy a quality, top of the line ham radio from a reliable brand and pay top dollar for it, you can be assured that it will perform to your liking.
Some price-conscious users seek out the cheapest products in the market to save money. These users want to make sure they get the best value at the lowest price without being scammed.
Other users simply want to get the best products and don’t care much about price.
We rated our top ham radio list based on the quality first and only then price. So if you’re not sure whether you can afford an item, just click “Buy on Amazon” and check the price.
Last update on 2020-01-11 at 13:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API